Monday, February 3, 2014

February 3, 2014

Last night went well. I was afraid to stay at the NICU and have to take care of Karley as I have just become dependent on the nurses. But after the 2 nights in the hotel and moving Karley and I into the corner of the room together, we did just fine! She definitely lets you know when she is getting hungry! I set my alarm for every 3 hours as that is when she needs to be fed but last night she woke me up every single time before my alarm even went off! :)

Bentley now weighs 2225 grams which is 4 lbs 14.5 oz. He completed 5 out of 8 feedings in 24 hours. The ones he didn't finish he was only 22 mls and 8 mls away from completing. The third one he was completely tuckered out and didn't take any of. But it is progress and we are getting there! They briefly talked about acid reflux this morning at rounds and then it kind of got blown off. I didn't let this happen! There are many indications pointing to acid reflux and I don't want Bentley to suffer with it. The decision to start him on meds was made. He will receive them every 8 hours. I truly hope this helps him and helps move along his feedings. They are also upping his feedings to 45 mls. He also passed his hearing test in both ears!

Bentley and daddy snuggling:

Karley enjoying her rock 'n play:

Karley had a doctors appointment this morning with a nurse practitioner. They got us in down here as a courtesy as they knew we were still in the NICU. From here on out, her appointments will be with the pediatrician we picked. She now weighs 4 lbs 13.5 oz. She is only an ounce behind Bentley now! She is just under 18 inches long and has a head circumference of 32.3 centimeters. She falls anywhere between the 25th-35th percentile on the charts. They said everything looked and sounded good which is great!

After Karley's doctor appointment we changed and fed her quickly as we had to get to our infant cpr course. I wore Karley in the Moby wrap the whole time and it worked out well! It was nice to have a refresher.

We went down to the cafeteria and there are 2 ladies that work in there that constantly asked me how the babies are doing. I wore Karley when we went down there and they came to see her right away! I don't think some people even realize I am wearing her as it is hard to see her and the others that do notice have commented on how small she is!

Paul took a nap this afternoon and caught up on some much needed sleep!

I made some phone calls to switch some appointments and make Karley's appointment with the pediatrician for her 1 month checkup. When I called they asked for her date of birth and I told her 1-4-(Paul's birth year) and didn't even realize it! It was just completely habit! I had the receptionist laughing. I definitely need to get used to this kind of stuff!

We went down to the cafeteria again for supper and met another family in the elevator. She asked about Karley and we explained she is a twin and Bentley is still here. She informed us she has a little one up here that is doing well but is withdrawing on methadone. Me being me, I thought it was a drug! Paul informed me it is typically given to someone that is a drug user to get them to quit. Either way I seriously was stunned. First of all she gave up the information to us (random strangers) willingly. Second of all, how in the heck do you do that?!?!?! I will stop there as I am soooo full of many emotions on that subject!!!

Karley and Bentley both were breastfed this evening. Karley took 8 mls according to the scale which would be her highest amount IF the scale was accurate. Bentley took -38 mls according to the scale....yes that says negative! Hence I don't trust that dang scale ONE bit!!!! They both did an excellent job in my opinion and continue to do better each time which is great!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment