Tuesday, January 14, 2014

January 14, 2014

Last night was a pretty low key night!

I showered right away this morning and the shower is definitely less of a hot commodity during the week! It felt nice and I felt refreshed and ready for the day.

Rounds this morning didn't bring much changes. Karley went down 2 grams and they said she may lose some weight now that she is out of the isolette as she is burning calories to regulate her own temperature (which she is doing great with!) Her bilirubin level went up from 6.5 to 7.0. They upped her feedings at 32 ml. Bentley went up 30 grams and is now just over his birth weight! His bilirubin levels went down from 7.5 to 7.2. He will also be upped to 32 ml per feeding. They will both soon be getting fortified breast milk which is just adding more protein, calcium, etc. because in the last trimester all of their bones continue to develop and harden and they missed this! They both will stay on there bilirubin blanket lights.

PT/OT came in again today to work with our children. Karley was willing to do more and her stats were better so they were able to position her to every side and do range of motion with her arms and legs. Bentley's stats were a little lower so they didn't do as much with him today. She said Karley is a rock star and Bentley is just a little behind her but still within his development. We got told that typically girls do better than boys in the NICU and we are following suit. I was also told that the baby who ruptures tends to do better because they realize they need to fend more for themselves and Karley was the one that ruptured.

The nurse today and the PT/OT person were both shocked Karley is in an open crib. They said typically it isn't until the child weighs at least 1800 grams that they move them to an open crib. Karley only weighs 1558 grams! But they moved her to one because she was too hot in the isolette with the temperature shut off and the top open! They said they don't think they have ever seen anyone this little in an open crib already! :)

Paul was going to come visit for a few hours today and we definitely wanted him to but the weather put a stop to that. When he got up I informed him it was snowing all morning here and visibility was bad! A few nurses also said the roads were rough. After he did some looking at road conditions and with my information we decided that it was best he just stay home and not push it.

The nurse today told me that she heard I am a very involved and independent mommy! I can definitely handle that title!!! Everyone here seems so surprised as to how much Paul and I do but I just don't see how you can't be! They are OUR children! The nurse let me take their temperatures today during cares which was nice. I will be honest, I was terrified of taking home two preemies. But the nurses have been amazing and with us being so involved, I am very comfortable with our little miracles.

I got to kangaroo care with both of them this afternoon!!:


Kangaroo care is skin on skin so the babies are out of their clothes and everything. This means I take off my bra and typically tuck them right in my shirt. When I took Karley and was getting her situated she pooped! Her brother did the exact same thing and I couldn't believe how stinky it was! (He is taking after daddy!! :P) After about 1 1/2 hours of holding them I felt something wet run down my side where Karley was. I immediately thought she had peed out the side of her diaper. I pushed the call button to get a nurse just to make sure it wasn't anything major. As soon as the nurse walked in, it dawned on it that I could be the one leaking!!! We took a peak and sure enough it was me!!! I felt bad for blaming poor Karley but I have never leaked yet. I guess I should've pumped first! They say skin on skin with your babies is good for your supply and I guess it worked! :)

1 comment:

  1. I am rolling at you getting pooped on, b/c I recall taking the diaper off my middle daughter and she pooped right in my hand. I am glad to her all is going well. it's good to see that prayers did a wonder on your children. I look forward to reading how the twins are doing every day. I just want you to know, you are a great mom already. It looks like Paul is a great dad too. What more could you ask for? I am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete