Thursday, January 16, 2014

January 16, 2014

Last night as I was pumping I heard someone come in and I truly thought nothing of it as the nurses come and in and out. I was shocked to see it was a nurse from labor and delivery that I had and that was there for the birth of our twins!!! This is the second time she has stopped by to see us and check on how we are doing. Needless to say, she is one of my favorite nurses from downstairs! When I went into labor and it was shift change I told Paul that I had hoped the nurse coming in would be this one and it was! I was relieved to see her and she did such an amazing job at talking me through everything! I truly have nothing but good things to say about her!!!

Bentley had a few high residuals in the evening and night. They decided to stop fortifying the breast milk he was getting and go back to straight breast milk.

Our night was good last night. I slept on the couch in the room for the first time. I had been sleeping in their recliner. I am not really sure if I like one over the other.

This morning my OBGYN stopped by to see the children and check on how things were going with me. It is nice that so many staff members still stop by and check on us!!

Karley now weighs 1628 grams and was up 59 grams. (That's 3lbs 9.4 oz) Bentley weighs 1777 grams and was up 90 grams. (That's 3 lbs 14.7 oz) They are now both above their birth weights!!! They are going to leave Bentley on straight breast milk for today and possibly try to fortify it again tomorrow.

I showered this morning which always feels wonderful! It is so nice to have a shower right down the hall!

PT came in this morning and worked with our children. Karley once again tolerated things wonderfully and the therapist said she seems much calmer. I have definitely noticed this at care times too! She put Karley on her tummy and with some prompting, Karley moved her head from the right side all the way over to the left on her own! Bentley wasn't tolerating much today which she said happens. She said he may not be up to much due to his higher residuals and may also not be feeling well too. She informed me that if they favor their right side, it may be due to them not feeling well as being on their right side helps with GI issues. This was news to me and something we will keep an eye on.

I went down to get lunch from the cafeteria. They are getting used to seeing me and 2 people asked me how the babies were and if we knew when they would be coming home. Unfortunately we haven't been told but they are still getting all feedings through their feeding tube so it will be a bit yet! It sure is nice to have so many people that care!!

I loaded up our children's drawers with diapers and pulled out the wrong size. I was shocked to see how little they were. The good news in, we never needed that little of diapers!!! We are using the larger of the diapers and I put my hand by it so you have a comparison.


I got to give each of our children a bath again today. The nurse was pretty surprised I did it all on my own last time. She told me she was highly impressed and seemed almost speechless!! Karley and Bentley both did better than last time which is great. They got all new bedding and new clothes!

I got to kangaroo care with both of them again. I got Bentley first after his bath and he was rooting and crazily trying to find himself some extra food!!! I was super shocked by this as he doesn't show interest in the pacifier much at all and we anticipated him being a little harder to nurse. But he searched for probably about 15 minutes before he settled in and gave up. I am very excited this occurred!!!



Pumping is going well and everyday I get a little bit more. A few days after I was discharged I found where they store the extra breast milk and I was jealous of the mom that had 2 buckets full of extra bottles of milk in there! But as of today, I AM that mom!!! I have 2 full buckets of extra bottles of milk and it is a great feeling!

Karley had an awesome day....she has had a few alarms here and there but nothing major. Today she went just short of 15 hours with NO ALARMS!!! This is one proud momma!!! :)

I swear every single time you go to change Karley, she poops!!! Well tonight I was totally prepared had the diaper over her and everything and she pooped so much and with so much force it filled the diaper and shot out onto other things! It was actually quite impressive but we had cleaning up to do! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment