I got quite a bit of sleep last night and it felt good! I pumped at 10:30 P.M. and didn't pump again until 7 A.M! It wasn't done on purpose but it was nice!
Paul and I both got a shower in before rounds this morning which was great!
Karley now weighs 1814 grams which is 4 lbs even! Bentley weighs 1885 which 4 lbs 2.5 oz. We have two babies that are 4 or more lbs!!! Since they did well with their bottle feedings yesterday we are going to continue it to 2 times per day. But one of those times will now be putting them to breast instead of bottle. The purpose won't be for them to be able to actually get out a valuable amount yet but just for practice of finding, latching, sucking, building their stamina, and practicing the suck, swallow, breath reflex. I am very excited about adding this in!
The lactation consultant came in during their morning cares to help with putting them to breast. Karley found it right off the get go and sucked for a little while. She sucked intermittently for a bit and then stopped for awhile. Then she seemed to be interested again and sucked a little more. She eventually just fell asleep. Bentley rooted around and found it. He did more latching and unlatching but was good at doing both. He also spent some time sucking too. Karley and Bentley both showed interest and definitely wanted it! I was pretty amazed with how well they did and everyone else seemed pleased too!
We kangaroo cared with them afterwards. Paul started with both of them while I pumped. Then I went and ate some lunch. When I was done I took our children and he went and ate lunch. It worked out well!
At the next cares it was bath time and Paul got to give them baths for the first time! He admitted it was a little tricky and I completely agree! Washing them in the little bucket is challenging and they are slippery! He did very well though!!!
Paul giving Karley a bath for the first time:
Paul giving Bentley a bath for the first time:
Paul and I went and ran a few errands and did some shopping. We had a few baby essentials we still needed to get that we went and picked up. It was nice to get out and spend some time together accomplishing a few things.
This evening Karley and Bentley got to bottle feed again. Paul fed Bentley and I fed Karley. Karley took about 14 mls and Bentley took 17 mls! They are really doing well and it is very exciting! :)
Paul & Nicole,
ReplyDeleteOh praise God! Your children are doing so well and you both are taking such good care of them. I am proud of you both and I thank God they are both doing so well. The care and love you demonstrate to your children and in your care of them. I look forward to your updates even if I do not comment every day. I look at your children and look at mine. I cannot believe how fast time has flown for my girls, they are 15, 13, and 10. Where did the time go? Last time I looked my girls were babies. Enjoy your time and cherish what God has entrusted to you. I will keep praying for your family and look forward to the updates.