Monday, January 27, 2014

January 27, 2014

It was another good night at the NICU hotel! :)

Karley now weighs 1966 grams which is 4 lbs 5.3 oz and Bentley now weighs 2025 grams which is 4 lbs 7.4 oz. They are going to up them to nippling 3 times per day now. Other than that, things are the same!

During rounds this morning the neonatologist said "it will be soon!" I was surprised by this but super excited!!!!

We gave them their bottles at the 10:30 A.M. cares and speech was here to work with us throughout it. Karley took the full feeding. Bentley took 18 mls of his and then tuckered out. We tried some techniques to wake him but he wasn't having it. She said at this point it's more important to keep him content and not stress him out continuing to try to feed him as they can just give it to him in his feeding tube.

We talked about the plan from here on out and my wishes. She said soon we would be going to a per cues based feeding schedule. Therefore, when the children show signs they are hungry, they will be fed! She said it will be 2-4 hourish between feedings and not a set schedule like it is now. She also said we will soon go to a volume based feeding. Therefore, in 24 hours each of our children will have an intake goal. It won't be set so much on set amount feedings. They may take a little the first time but a lot the next and they just have to hit their goal in 24 hours. She asked if I wished to bottle feed or breast feed. I told her at first I wanted to breast feed completely but I have come to like the bottles because I can tell how much they are getting! She reassured me that I can breastfeed the babies for about 20-25 minutes but then offer them a bottle after. If they got enough, they won't take it! But if they need it, they at least have it! I guess it will really all be a learning experience once we get that far! She also said "it will be soon!" But based on the things we need to accomplish my estimation is a few weeks yet. It is super exciting but also a little nerve wracking at the same time! :)

I did kangaroo care with both of them this afternoon. It had been a few days since they got any kangaroo care due to us being gone and visitors. They slept through all of it! I love snuggling with them!!!

Mommy, Karley, and Bentley:

 


I got to actually breastfeed them this afternoon! I was very excited to be able to do the real thing instead of pumping beforehand and just letting them practice. They both did the best they ever have!!! The nurse gave each of them 15 minutes to try. Karley lasted the whole time sucking intermittently. Bentley lasted about 10 minutes and sucked a little less than Karley. But they both did awesome! They weighed them both before and after their feeding and we have decided.....the scale lies!!! The nurse watched me nurse both of them and I know they were getting milk but both of their weights were exactly the same before and after! The nurse even said she didn't believe it. I was kind of bummed out but do agree that I don't think it was accurate at all! I guess we will see as we continue!

Now that they are up to 3 feedings they are spacing them out as best as we can. That means one of the feedings may be at night/early morning. I have been sleeping away the night and mostly because I can! I know soon that will not be the case! Now knowing a feeding will take place sometime throughout the night and our time here will be over soon, I am going to really work on getting up at their night care times as well! We will see how that goes!

A friend of mine who does the March of Dimes walks is walking in honor of Karley and Bentley this year! It is a very nice gesture and really means a lot!!!! Here is her March of Dimes page:
http://www.marchforbabies.org/personal_page.asp?pp=1505502&ct=4&w=6360743&u=KinnerFamily

Paul and I have also decided we will be walking this year for the first time and I truly hope to make this a yearly tradition. We are working on creating a family team and once it is created I will share our page as well!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment