I woke up to Karley crying (which is abnormal) at around 1:30 A.M. which is a care time for them. The nurse was in here but she was a new nurse to us. I sat and watched for awhile and just couldn't take it anymore! I got up and helped. There really wasn't anything horrible but she just did her thing and didn't care that Karley was showing her many signs that she was stressed. The nurse didn't do much at all to calm her either. Once I stepped in and helped to try to calm Karley, she was better. The nurse also did a little better job once I was awake and helping but that shouldn't have to be the case!!!
I got up this morning and pumped and then went to the bathroom. This is when I noticed that my incision was leaking fluid in one spot. It did leak quite a bit and I was shocked! I called in and a nurse called me back about 2 hours later. I finally got in early this afternoon. The nurse was surprised it was leaking as the incision is completely closed. She called in the doctor who did my c-section to look at it. They cultured what was leaking and put me on antibiotics just to be on the safe side. They don't think it is infected but they don't want to take any chances. They said it is seroma which is a pocket of fluid that sometimes develops in the body after surgery. I go back next week to have it looked at again.
Not much was new at rounds this morning. The children have officially been called feeders and growers which is great!!!! Karley is 1 gram away from her birth weight. Bentley's weight dropped slightly but they aren't worried as he had a big gain yesterday. They didn't have any labs so they are both on their bilirubin blanket lights. They left both of their feedings at 32 mls but decided to add the fortifier today. They said that sometimes this causes them to have bigger residuals but that is normal. We will see how they do!
P/T came in again today. Karley did very well but we are noticing she may be favoring her right side of her head. We are just going to watch this and try to position her more on her left side. Bentley did much better than yesterday. His stats looked better and he tolerated a lot more which is great!
Speech also came. She had me hold Karley like I would if I was to breastfeed her while she was being fed and sucking on a pacifier to help start that process. She is thinking we will be able to start breastfeeding slowly with her next week! Bentley has shown little interest in his pacifier but yesterday I noticed during his cares he would follow my hands with an open mouth like he was looking for something. He did way better with his pacifier today and sucked on it for quite some time!
The speech therapist talked to us about having one child discharged before the other. We know this happens and could be the case. She informed me that even if this does happen, the baby that is discharged can still stay right here in the room with me. They will leave the open "crib" for us. The only difference is, there will be no nursing cares and no monitors. That child that is discharged will be fully our responsibility. I was glad to hear this was an option because I was contemplating how that would work out with use living about 75 minutes away!
Paul came to visit this afternoon. He got to do kangaroo care with both of our children. It was great to see him and allow him time with our children!
While he was here, I went to Shopko. It was my first time driving in 44 days!! Talk about weird! I enjoyed getting out for the little bit I was and got some gauze and tape for my leaking incision. I must admit, I miss listening to the radio!! :)


Hi there: Just checking the blog and admiring the pictures. They look so adorable cuddling and snuggling together. Beautiful dark hair. Had to share with Sherry. She asks every day about them. Said if that is Karley with her arm around Bentley - then she is just like her mother - already protecting that brother !! Thought that was cute!
ReplyDeleteThinking of you and so thankful all going as it is.
Love - A. Gloria