Last night was uneventful for us! :)
Karley now weighs 1660 grams which is 3 lbs 10.6 oz. Her bilirubin levels dropped to 5.1. Bentley now weighs 1787 grams which is 3 lbs 15 oz. His bilirubin levels dropped to 6.3. They both get to be off their bilirubin light blankets!!!! They are going to try again with fortifying the breast milk Bentley is getting and see how he handles it. Things continue to go well!
It really was a low key day all around!
Bentley is doing pretty well with the fortification. He has had some residuals but they have been minor and nothing anyone is concerned about. Hopefully this continues!!
Paul came to visit today! We did kangaroo care together this time. It was nice to relax, spend time together, and catch up!!! Lately all of our quality time has been spent at the hospital but it doesn't matter where it occurs! :)
This whole journey hasn't been nearly what I expected it to be:
- We started our journey at an infertility clinic but amazingly had luck on the first try!
- I ended up pregnant with twins which I never expected
- Pregnancy wasn't really what I thought it was going to be... I was super sick in the beginning and lost almost 20 lbs, had a little time to enjoy it, and then got uncomfortable!
- I never thought my water would break at 26 weeks really changing the path we were on and adding a frightening element
- Spending almost 5 weeks on hospital bed rest wasn't something I even thought about
- Delivering at 30 weeks 6 days via c-section wasn't something I had planned for
- And now we are in the NICU....a place I used to fear but have become very comfortable with, with two amazing little miracles that are doing wonderfully!!!!
But this journey has also made me a different person and taught me so much already:
- I am way more patient and easier on myself than I ever expected I could be
- The important things in my life have changed drastically
- Although you have expectations and a plan in mind they can dramatically change in an instant
- The changes that are made to the expectations/plan you have aren't always as bad as they seem
- I am stronger than I ever thought I could be
- I was fearful of the unknown but realized it would be what it was
- People come in and out of our lives for various reasons and I have met some wonderful people on this journey
- Although it's been challenging and Paul and I have spent quite a bit of time apart, it has brought us closer together because of everything
- I was terrified of preemies and caring for them but once I jumped right in, I am completely comfortable and can't wait to take them home
- I am very overprotective of the things I love the most
- Our children may be small but they are the strongest little babies I have ever known
- I never thought I could be sooooo in love!!!
(I am sure there is much much more I can add to this list but I will stop there for now!)
Oh Nicki this post made me tear up!!!! I love reading about you and your babies and how they are doing and the kangeroo care and your nursing!!! (that was from today, I had to catch up on older blogs, too!). You and Paul are amazing people who have easily become amazing parents. Having children is a life changing experience and having babies come into the world with special needs is even more life changing. You, of course, are so strong! And your babies, too! I can't wait to meet them! Love to you all!
ReplyDelete